Why Attend an Arizona Summer Camp Open House?
Summer camp season is just around the corner for Arizona kids of all ages. Attending a summer camp open house is the best way to familiarize yourself with the camp curriculum and amenities so you can make the best choice for your child. Let’s take a look at the inner workings of a summer camp open house and how you can make the most of your time while visiting a camp.
What Happens During a Summer Camp Open House?
A summer camp open house gives children and their grown-ups the opportunity to become familiar with the camp location and amenities. Some of the activities you’ll participate in why at a camp open house include:
- Figure out driving time from home
- Tour the grounds and outdoor activity areas
- Visit the recreational buildings
- Inspect the camp hall, dining space, sleeping quarters, etc.
- Meet with camp staff & observe their interactions with your child
- Learn more about the camp’s philosophy and values
- Get first-hand insight about the camp’s programs & electives
Perhaps one of the most important things you’ll get to observe during the open house is how your child engages with the camp environment.
- Do they feel “at home”?
- Do they show interest or curiosity–or signs of such engagement?
- If your child is timid, pay attention to how camp staff approach your child to help them feel welcome and at ease.
Additionally, pay attention to how camp staff answer questions, both yours or those from other families. Are responses to questions thorough/complete? If a question can’t be answered at the time it is asked, do staff follow-up with that information before you leave or do they ask for your contact information to follow-up with you with 48 hours of your visit?
While touring the camp property, you will want to pay attention to camp safety items such as:
- Condition of the buildings including bunks, dining, and bathing facilities
- Condition of the athletic fields and waterfront
- Cleanliness, organization of classroom areas (art, theater, woodshop, etc.)
Questions to Ask While at a Summer Camp Open House
- How many campers to a cabin? (either for overnight or day camp)
- How many campers per counselor throughout the day?
- How are special needs of any type addressed by the camp staff?
- How are bunkmate problems addressed?
- What are the procedures for communicating during emergencies of any kind?
- What happens if a camper wants to come home soon after arriving at camp?
- When/how often does the camp communicate with families about their camper?
- When/how often does a camper call home?
- How does camp staff keep families informed about camper progress?
- What special events, activities will be new to camp this year?
- Why should you choose this camp over any other?
Camp Tuku Announces Arizona Summer Camp Open House 2023
To get you off to a great start with your child’s summer camp search, put Camp Tuku’s Family Open House at the top of your list!
In addition to touring the Camp Tuku facilities and grounds, families and their campers will get a sneak peek of our camp electives and favorite activities. We’ll be showing off the dorm rooms, stables, and waterfront. You’ll also have the opportunity to mingle with members of our camp leadership team.
Bring a friend and enjoy special treats and swag at the Camp Tuku 2023 Open House!
When: Sunday March 5th, 2023
Time: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Place: 1000 Orme School Road, Mayer AZ
RSVP requested by Feb 28th Click to RSVP